It was another eventful week in the world of gambling.
In this installment of the weekly roundup from US Bets, we’re giving you a rundown of some of the more interesting news nuggets from the world of sports betting and beyond.
Also be sure to check out Sports Handle for its weekly news recap, “Get a Grip.”
Esports match-fixing drawing attention of feds
— Kotaku (@Kotaku) April 1, 2021
UFC eyeing IPO in sports betting era
*UFC Parent Company Files For IPO
• Endeavor Group Holdings has filed for its IPO.
• Endeavor owns 50.1% of the UFC and is rumored to be attempting to acquire the remaining 49.9% before the IPO.
Source: Reuters, NYPost
— Roundhill Investments (@roundhill) March 31, 2021
Near lifetime ban for tennis match-fixing
Venezuelan tennis player Maytin receives 14-year ban for match-fixinghttps://t.co/7IlOfxKVwq
— Alfonso Straffon 🇨🇷🇺🇸🇲🇽 (@astraffon) April 1, 2021
Feds seek stiff sentence in sports gambling case
Prosecutors say a bookie with purported mob ties tried to sell a "fantasy" to the judge about a fun and fair gambling ring that, while illegal, aimed never to exploit anyone. https://t.co/IZeGg1vGMF
— Chicago Sun-Times (@Suntimes) April 1, 2021
MLB ball changes could mean fewer runs this season?
“It’s definitely a different ball.” — Blake Snellhttps://t.co/T8I7nzCxkN
— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) March 29, 2021
Heavy local betting interest on Detroit Tigers
Great MLB betting stat from @DKSportsbook's preseason notes:
In Michigan, the Tigers were the most popular bet (39%) and had the biggest handle (67%) to win the AL Central at 60-1 odds.
Across all DK books, Detroit had 5% of bets and handle to win division.
So far, so good …
— Ben Fawkes (@BFawkes22) April 1, 2021
VSiN sale to DraftKings draws some criticism
Just canceled my subscription. I was a viewer since Day 1 – but this is a bridge too far. ☹️👎 https://t.co/bM7br4tmjo
— Captain Jack Andrews (@capjack2000) March 30, 2021
NCPG releases study on addiction, betting attitudes
Today we released the National Detailed Report and customized state-specific reports for the NGAGE 1.0 survey. It is the most comprehensive look at gambling attitudes in America. Read the press release here: https://t.co/GhBIEhj2wn pic.twitter.com/4PwQ8385cp
— NCPG (@NCPGambling) March 31, 2021
Review finds CA Lottery mishandled ‘Ellen’ promotion
Each member of the audience was given a $500 bundle of 72 Scratchers tickets. https://t.co/Pghk92Ri7A
— The Press Democrat (@NorthBayNews) April 1, 2021
WSOP to return to Las Vegas this fall
WSOP RETURNS: In-person poker returns after the pandemic altered the World Series of Poker last year … the WSOP will begin at the Rio in September, with a November Main Event https://t.co/Gvh2itoc1i #8NN
— 8 News NOW (@8NewsNow) April 2, 2021
TN sportsbook offered banned college props
— Brian Pempus (@brianpempus) April 2, 2021
Hellmuth wins heads-up match with Negreanu
Initial story on Phil Hellmuth's marathon comeback win over Daniel Negreanu in round 1 of their "High Stakes Duel": https://t.co/na9CA4XDK0
— Jim Barnes (@JimBarnesLV) April 1, 2021
Indiana fines books for problem gambling violations
PointsBet, BetRivers fined in Indiana for allowing self-excluded gamblers to wager on their respective platformshttps://t.co/wYOK7PImT4
— Brian Pempus (@brianpempus) March 29, 2021